It’s that magical time of the year in which in a very short time window we have so much to celebrate starting with Thanksgiving. Two of my kids and two of my grandchildren are coming in for the holiday and only because the third kid isn’t coming in, can we talk about politics without casserole dishes being tossed around. Then again, does anyone really want to talk about politics anymore?
It is the perfect time to be thankful for so many things. Here is a partial list, please feel free to add to it with your comments:
- Not spending the holiday in the hospital
- Not being homeless
- Not being an alcoholic or drug addict
- Not having any mental illnesses
- Not owning any guns and no plans to
- Having a car/SUV
- No credit card debt in double figures
- Having a job that pays more than $10/hr
- Happily married to the best person on earth (OK, I’m a little biased!)
- Working out daily
- No longer having to waste Saturday’s watching Spartan football
- Not having cancer and being able to support ACS (TNG raised more than $100K this year once again)
- Being able to walk normal again after hip surgery
- Not being hungry and able to enjoy turkey, whipped potatoes, whipped sweet potatoes, veggie casserole, salad, rolls, condiments, stuffing, gravy, pumpkin pie, key lime pie, apple pie, red wine, single malt Scotch and not having to clean up afterwards!
- More than 100 of the greatest talent working at TNG
- Crackling fire on a cold night
- Ass on the beach with a cold one in each hand (OK, the cold ones are not going to happen!) looking at the ocean
- Delta, Starbucks, Apple and Costco
- My dedicated blog readers who read my bullshit each month
- Not living in California
- Duolingo and Candy Crush
- Buddy’s Pizza
- Dean Sanjay who got away with $3M
As human beings we love to complain, toss out our opinions, pretend we are the best coaches and appreciate that misery loves company. But in the end, it’s all noise and one more thing I am thankful for: Ability to filter out noise. After all, we are on this side of the grass for a very short time and why not enjoy that time instead of bitching about it?
So there you go. Happy Thanksgiving and I will enjoy every minute of it and eat too much too quickly. Will I get up for that second plate? Absolutely. Will I have seconds on dessert? Absolutely. Will I enjoy that glass of single malt? Absolutely. My wishes for you is that get to enjoy the same.